Connectivity problems with Roberts Revival iStream

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
AlastairP

Connectivity problems with Roberts Revival iStream

Postby AlastairP » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Hello,

I recently bought a Roberts Revival iStream. I like the build quality and the sound, but I'm having big probems with the connectivity that I can't explain. I'd be really grateful if someone could help.

The set up was easy, and it connected to my WiFi immediately. I started listening to a few stations and it was all fine. But when I switched it off and back on, it started searching endlessly without success. I disconnected it from the power and reconnected, which helped. But after that, the radio only connected once in four or five attempts, never at first go. It's very frustrating (and while it's searching, it seems to block the menu, too. I mean it takes a long time to respond - for example to switch from Internet mode to DAB, or even to switch it off).

Yesterday I tried to configure the Wifi manually, following the instructions in the handbook. I'm not clued up on how modems function, but I think I did it right, and the manual set-up seemed to work. For a while, I thought I'd solved the problem, but the connection has been very hit-and-miss again today, finding the station (or connecting to the database) only once in two or three attempts. The initial search for the WiFi connection after switching on the radio always seems to succeed, but it's when it starts trying to find a station that the problems arise.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there some explaination for the erratic behaviour (IP address/modem configuration or such?), or do you think there's a fault with the radio? I don't want to take it back to the shop before I've tried everything to make it work.

For background information (if it's relevant): I'm in Brussels in Belgium, using a modem from the local company, Belgacom. And I've been using a Pure Flow radio for a few years now, without any such problems (this died on me the other day, hence the new purchase).

Any help gratefully received!
Alastair

Keenite

Re: Connectivity problems with Roberts Revival iStream

Postby Keenite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:34 pm

I would suggest trying it on another wireless system to see if it functions properly there. Then at least you could confirm that it is the radio, and not the connection.
What you are describing sounds more like a software or hardware glitch, with the information not being stored at the end of a session. Are you using a VPN?

AlastairP

Postby AlastairP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Hello Keenite,

Thanks a lot for your response. That's a good idea. I'll take it to a friend's house sometime in the next few days and try it out.

I'm not using a VPN (I don't think so, anyway), just a DSL WiFi router for a normal domestic connection. There are usually two computers attached to it in the house. Interestingly, my MacBook recently started playing up, with similar interruptions to the connection following periods of 'sleep' - that's been happening ever since I updated the operating system. Could that be connected? The second computer, a PC, doesn't have any problems.

I'll try testing the radio on another network, like you said, then let you know how it went. Thanks again
Alastair

Keenite

Postby Keenite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm

In addition to OS updates, sometimes the router updates itself and changes certain key settings without you knowing it.
Could also have something to do with DNS servers, a topic I unfortunately know precious little about. There is another forum for Reciva-based internet radios, and although they mainly deal with the Reciva platform, there is usually someone there who knows something about most things. If you can't sort it out on your own, you might give them a try:
http://recivarefuge.net

PS: have you tried doing a full factory reset, is the firmware up to date?

AlastairP

Postby AlastairP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:11 pm

The firmware is up to date, and I'll try a factory reset now.

Meanwhile I think I've got a bit closer to the cause: I've noticed in the network settings that the radio doesn't always tune in to the network I originally selected (my network), but it's choosing another one in the neighbourhood – but then of course it can't use it without a password. It seems to be a matter of luck which it chooses, each time it's switched on. I can manually override it by selecting the ISS-ID - it does at least remember all the details I entered when I did the manual setup. It's still not ideal, but it's a step forward I guess... Is there any way of fixing that network selection?

By the way, with respect to the DNS entry, I found this document (perhaps you know it), which includes the suggestion of using a "Google free DNS address" - see point 28 in the list:

http://www.robertsts.com/books/Revival% ... Stream.pdf

I haven't tried that yet. I don't know if it will affect the problem described above. I'll give Roberts technical services a call tomorrow, too.

Keenite

Postby Keenite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Might you have changed your network settings without intending to do so?
Under normal circumstances, to avoid making mistakes you should let the radio automatically configure your network settings for you. A factory reset and fresh network configuration should correct any such errors, but remember that your customized settings will be lost.

AlastairP

Postby AlastairP » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:27 am

Brilliant! Since doing a factory reset, the problem seems to have disappeared. That makes me feel a bit foolish, of course: it's always the easiest solution that brings results. But the problem first arose when I did the initial automatic setup 'out-of-the-box'. That's why it didn't occur to me that a reset would make a difference.

Anyway, I'm happy to have my radio working. Now, I'll let this stand as a word of advice to others who might read the thread: try a reset first!

Thanks, Keenite, for your help and advice.

tempo10

Postby tempo10 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am

A factory reset may not have been necessary in this case. Of course it will solve the problem, but if you've already got a bunch of presets stored and other settings configured then a reset will mean you have to do it all over again.

You mentioned that your radio was trying to connect to a different network - the radios remember all wireless networks you connect them to and attempt to connect to the strongest signal it can find, even if it's not yours. Within the Network settings menu there's an option called 'Network Profile' which lists up to four of the last-used SSIDs; just delete all the wrong ones! Highlight each one individually and press the Select button to get rid of them. Make sure you're connected to the right one first though, or that will go too...

Keenite

Postby Keenite » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Glad to here you've gotten it sorted.

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”