BBC Listen again/podcasts incorrect listings

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
Spaced-Man

Re: BBC Listen again/podcasts incorrect listings

Postby Spaced-Man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:42 pm

The cause of the podcast problem was an "equipment failure" at vTuner, see copy of their e-mail to me received today
"Hello,
We had an equipment failure but problem has been resolved.
We apologize for the inconvenience."

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Spaced-Man wrote:The cause of the podcast problem was an "equipment failure" at vTuner, see copy of their e-mail to me received today
"Hello,

Why should vTuner affect Frontier Silicon radios? How many portals are in the chain?

Can somebody explain the link? BBC > Silicon Frontier > Roberts radio > listener. Or is it more complicated than that?

distressedsteve

Postby distressedsteve » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 am

@Joe - Good question, I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

Spaced-Man

Postby Spaced-Man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 pm

When I e-mailed Frontier about the problem, the reply came from vTuner so I assume they are one and the same.

distressedsteve

Postby distressedsteve » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 pm

@Spaced-Man - Thanks for that info. Just Googled vTuner and they are not quite one and the same but Frontier is listed as a "Chipset Partner" (Whatever that means ?) near the bottom of this page http://www.vtuner.com/partners.asp, so definitely in the chain.

Edit: Actually, looking at more of their web pages, it looks like they are the main driving force.

tempo10

Postby tempo10 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:31 pm

It's diagram time. Take it with a pinch of salt but it's a suitable summary...

Code: Select all

vTuner <---> database servers <---> station list maintenance
            |                                                       |
            V                                                       V
    Frontier Silicon <---> time and location services         Other 'portals'
 <Your Frontier Account> <----> 'My Added Stations',                 |
            |                  'My favourites'                      |
            |                                                       V
            |-----------------.                       Numerous audio equipment mnftrs:
            V                 V                       Onkyo, Pioneer,
      Your Roberts      Addn. Roberts?                Yamaha, Denon, etc.

vTuner is the top level in the chain. They run the database services containing all manner of Internet Radio stations and podcasts. They are in charge of finding new stations and purging defunct ones.

Frontier Silicon bolt on time services (so the radio can get the time and date) and location services. You'll notice that your radio gives "Local United Kingdom" in the menu - this will change accordingly if you go abroad on holiday and take your radio with you like. I can imagine Frontier filter the stations too so that they don't give you streams that are in a format that the radio can't handle.

The term 'portal' is thrown about a lot probably because it's the interface between user devices (our Roberts) and vTuner's database. I'm sure there are a raft of similar portals used by different manufacturers, each with their own flavours no doubt, that connect to vTuner.

An optional step is your personal Frontier account, if you've signed up. This allows you to 'Favourite' existing stations or add URLs for stations that vTuner don't list (if you don't know what this is... Read The Manual!).

Roberts is the last in the chain. Roberts themselves don't actually have any function other than making the shiny box that actually lets you listen to stuff. Of course if that device breaks then it's their problem (and yours!) but if you suddenly can't access a certain station one day it's not going to be because of something that Roberts have done. Yes, Roberts will no doubt be working closely with Frontier and vTuner for development and the like but ultimately they have no real control day-in, day-out of what you can and can't listen to.

This brings me now to the BBC. Where do I begin with this bunch of finger-pointers? Their broadcasting facilities could be burning to the ground around them and they'd still blame your TV or your aerial when you complain that you can't watch the latest episode of Stricly Come Eastenders On Ice. Both Joe and Professor have commented on similar problems with Reciva devices which I don't think is affiliated with vTuner and is a competitor for Frontier, thus indicating something BBC related. All the other podcasts I picked at random on my Roberts worked a charm, it was just the BBC ones that didn't, adding more suspicion.

Edit:
@distressedsteve
"Chipset Partners" are manufactures that produced electronic ICs ('chips') with the specific use of connecting to vTuner.

distressedsteve

Postby distressedsteve » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 pm

@tempo10 - Excellent explanation, thanks. I'll bookmark the vTuner site so I won't forget that it may be them or the BBC that I need to contact ;)

Professor

Postby Professor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Joe wrote:
Spaced-Man wrote:The cause of the podcast problem was an "equipment failure" at vTuner, see copy of their e-mail to me received today
"Hello,

Why should vTuner affect Frontier Silicon radios? How many portals are in the chain?

Can somebody explain the link? BBC > Silicon Frontier > Roberts radio > listener. Or is it more complicated than that?

I have had all platforms since the inception of streamed Wi-Fi radio. vTuner supply the Frontier Silicon streams and always have. A vTuner radio is much more reliable and one less link in the chain. I have never known them down, unlike the Frontier servers. This problem with updating and wrong episodes is usually a BBC one that has been ongoing for years. http://forum.reciva.com/read.php?4,74823
Fora - Where Everyone knows Everything -Everyone Else Knows Nothing

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Some good information there guys.

A minor blip on the BBC stuff which I listen to; duplicate programmes. I like to listen to BBC radio 4's Afternoon Drama, which was back on earlier in the week but all three available podcasts were listed twice. Last night all but one podcast had been removed but that was still there twice. I had already listened to that so I tried Radio 4 Extra but trawling through the current listings was too tedious so I resorted to streaming from my own audio story collection. I love dramas to settle down to at bedtime.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Just looking at http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com/ and browsed for Radio 4 podcasts and I see there is nothing available for me to listen to. The problem has not gone away.

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”