BBC Listen again/podcasts incorrect listings

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
Lord Summerisle

BBC Listen again/podcasts incorrect listings

Postby Lord Summerisle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:12 am

Has anyone else been having this problem?
It seems that all the BBC listen again/podcasts listings are not updating. They all list old episodes although when I listen on my internet radio they play different content to what is displayed.It's very annoying. I listen on a Roberts Stream 83i.

tempo10

Re: BBC Listen again/podcasts incorrect listings

Postby tempo10 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 am

I have this on my 83i and my Stream 105. It's even the same on the Frontier web portal. Nothing has been updated since the 28th of september - two weeks ago! I have spoken to Roberts and they don't know what the problem is. Non-BBC podcasts aren't affected in the same way so I think it's down to the beeb...

Lord Summerisle

Postby Lord Summerisle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for your reply, I thought I was the only one! I've sent an email to Frontier but I've heard nothing so far.Hope it gets resolved soon.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 am

It is the BBC. They are changing things and have stopped using something called Atom which is what permits us Roberts radio fans to listen to podcasts. It won't be replaced anytime soon. I liked to listen to stories from Radio 4 and 4 Extra.

tempo10

Postby tempo10 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:20 am

So that's it for Frontier and my Roberts as far as the BBC is concerned?

distressedsteve

Postby distressedsteve » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:44 pm

I've been caught by this as well and it's basically degraded my Stream 63i to no more than a DAB radio, not happy.

New purchasers should be made aware that the BBC Listen Again service can no longer be accessed, even though the user manual describes how to do it. This could be a bit of a PR disaster for Roberts Radio if they don't publicise this change.

I encourage people affected by this change to send emails to Roberts, Frontier and the BBC. If we can't get this more public there's no chance of getting it resolved quickly.

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 pm

It won't just be Robert internet radios that are affected, it will be other brands too.

It's rather annoying that the podcast streams are still showing up but can't be accessed apart from this rather odd program. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/rad ... -1700a.mp3

amadcitrus

Postby amadcitrus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 am

I too am suffering from this, hard to believe that this is about the only forum talking about it that I could find! I imagine it's affecting any internet radio device that uses the frontier silicon/vtuner radio portal.

I've noticed over the past few days that it is alternating between having no BBC podast content at all (displaying "No shows available" when you select the podcast title) and having some out-dated podcasts (most recent 28th September).

@Joe That program and a very small amount of others are available, as it only seems to affect WMA format podcasts, not MP3's.

distressedsteve

Postby distressedsteve » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:51 am

@amadcitrus
I too had been searching the internet about this issue and am amazed that I have only been able to find this forum that seems to be discussing it.

I've managed to wade through the mess of BBC pages needed before I was able to lodge a complaint about this issue. I've had to use the iPlayer contact page to send the complaint, so I hope it doesn't get lost amongst the many complaints about the new iPlayer Downloads application that has recently replaced iPlayer Desktop/Adobe Air.

I hope that Roberts/Frontier are able raise the profile a bit.

tempo10

Postby tempo10 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm

A solution!
OK OK it's a bit of a bodge, but it at least means I can listen to podcasts on the radio again.

To do this you need to have registered your radio with Frontier so that you can add your own stations and stuff. If you haven't done this there are instructions in the handbook but I got stuck and ended up getting Roberts to go through it with me.

Once you have that bit working go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts and find the station you want and then the progamme you want to listen to. You'll then see ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE a list of all the available episodes, each with a "DOWNLOAD <filesize>MB (right click & "save target as / link as")" below it. Right click like it says BUT INSTEAD CHOOSE "Copy Shortcut" or "Copy Link Location" and not Save As!

Log in to your Frontier account and go to Add New Station. In the 'URL' field paste the link you just copied, and in the other boxes just put whatever you want - just don't leave them empty.

Turn your radio on and from the Internet mode got to 'Station List' then 'My Added Stations'. You will see the podcast you just added under the name that you used on the Frontier website. Select it and it will play.

Great, right? Not really because for each podcast you have to run through the process above. I've set up one 'station' for each of the programmes I listen to and edit the URL each day to the most recent episode. It's not as smooth as having it already on the radio, but after a day or two's practice it only takes five minutes to make the seven or eight changes - especially as I can do it while I'm at work and it means I can listen to what I want when I get home. It takes more time for my laptop to turn on and load iPlayer than it does to add the podcasts manually!

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”