[SOLVED] Roberts Stream 83i - No internet radio stations

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
Kronalias

[SOLVED] Roberts Stream 83i - No internet radio stations

Postby Kronalias » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:04 pm

I have two 83i radios - both updated to the latest SW version:
ir-mmi-FS2026-0200-0048_STR83iau_V2.2.14.EX153 84-V1.10

Both radios worked perfectly, but for the last week or so neither will connect to, or even find a list of internet radio stations. When I try to select Internet Radio => Station List I get Please wait loading... for a minute or two and then Network error - Select to retry. If I press Select I just get the same thing, and that's that.

I can use the radios to access my UPnP server to stream music from a Linux box (so there's nothing wrong with the LAN connectivity), and I can check that I have the latest software (so they're connecting to the outside world).

Rebooting doesn't help. and I've tried resetting to factory defaults - but to no avail.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
Last edited by Kronalias on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronalias

Re: Roberts Stream 83i - No internet radio stations

Postby Kronalias » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 pm

In answer to my own post, I rang the Roberts technical support hotline and spoke to a pleasant but completely useless lady who suggested helpful things like rebooting the router and the radio. Is it me?

On the basis that I have two identical radios, both of which worked perfectly well before the recent software upgrade and neither of which worked properly after it, my suspicions lay in that direction, so I played about a bit. And sorted it!

Neither radio works with the internet if the IP is provided by my router's DHCP server and the fix is to set up a static (fixed) IP address on the radios. This is weird, as the only real difference is the way the radio resolves addresses from DNS servers. Oh well... it's not my problem, so if Roberts are reading this then could they take a good hard look in that direction please? Ta.

If you're going to do this fix then you'll need to know the SSID that your router is doling out, and ideally the pool of addresses that your router's DHCP server doles out. You can usually get these, and your gateway address, from your router's web access page. If you have the same problem that I had, then you can also see this info by connecting your radio to the internet - even though I couldn't access radio stations I could at least see the connection settings on the radio.

Then set things up. My router's addresses start with a 192.168.1 - not all routers are like this, and yours may start with 192.168.0 or something else, so pretty obviously tweak the stuff below to match your router.

Enter the manual network setup area:
Menu => System Settings => Network => Manual Settings => Wireless => DHCP disable

This is the IP address I chose. It's above the highest address that the router's DHCP server can give out (192.168.1.240), so there's no chance of an IP clash with other kit around the house.
Enter IP Address: 192.168.1.241

Standard subnet mask follows:
Enter Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Again, a pretty standard gateway addy:
Enter Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

Let's use Google's free dns servers:
Enter Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
Enter Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Fill in your SSID (this is the network name your router pushes out)

Fill in your wifi authentication method and key.

Job done and everything now works again properly. Hope this helps someone (possibly Roberts?)

Adrian747

Re: [SOLVED] Roberts Stream 83i - No internet radio stations

Postby Adrian747 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 pm

I had a bit of a challenge setting the radio up - the following might also be helpful to newbies trying to get it going when connecting a Wireless Virgin Media Super Hub to a Roberts Stream 83i Internet Radio

It's worth doing a System Reset if you've had a go and failed.
Press small silver 'Menu' button.
Main Menu - System Settings - Factory Reset.

You need to navigate to the Manual section
Manual Network Settings - Wireless.
DNCP Enabled - [Use the SSID Code printed on the back on the modem] - eg virginmedia1234567 - OK
WPA - AES - [Use the Passphrase on the back on the modem] - eg abcdefgh - OK
See pages 17 and 18 on the supplied manual

Dafairholm

Postby Dafairholm » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Same problem with my 83i since about Thursday. Oddly the preset stations are working and so is DAB.

chizz

Postby chizz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am

After upgrading my router for other reasons, I spent 3 hours trying unsuccessfully to get one of my two 83is s to connect to it. Identical settings to the other, which worked fine. After reading this thread I did a factory reset on the offending device and lo, connected first time.
Moral of the story, Do not underestimate the usefulness of the big reset!

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”