New Firmware !

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
gavin83

Re: New Firmware !

Postby gavin83 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Sheesh, I know there's a lot of Apple-hating out there but the remote-hating seems rather petty to me - the Stream 83i ships with a remote that is average at best, and text entry (pretty handy on a net radio huh) until now has been a right pain in the proverbial.

I'm afraid I don't care about podcasts - they are too Apple for me. But in seriousness, I'm afraid you have no hope on the fast forward/rewind controls. The last.fm function is particularly good (if you use it and enjoy broadening your music horizons), but you will need to banish your iEnvy and stump up the readies to find out. :)

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:18 pm

no i-envy, more i-pity!

I guess I hadn't considered the need for much text entry, other than the wifi password, but I s'pose you could have a point there ;) in which case why limit to the i-diots (sorry, couldn't resist), don't the Androids and WP7s deserve some love too?

But coming from Roberts, queen of the Pause/Rewind radio, I would have thought transport control on podcasts ('listen again' if you are i-lergic) was on their customers' wish-list. Roberts moved heaven and earth to implement it where it did not naturally exist, and then dropped the idea in its native land, where it would be trivial to implement.

gavin83

Postby gavin83 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

I expect that WP7 will get some love soon - it and Win7 get plenty of attention on the IR 2.2 brief. But why android, with double the market share of iOS, is not supported i cannot quite fathom. Perhaps iOS is still perceived as the audiophiles favourite?

I agree that the lack of implementation of rewind is inexplicable, but at least there is a pause button now on internet radio - i'll recheck my listen agains to see if it is there too. ;)

http://www.frontier-silicon.com/product ... 2SW_PB.pdf

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 pm

gavin83 wrote:I expect that WP7 will get some love soon - it and Win7 get plenty of attention on the IR 2.2 brief. But why android, with double the market share of iOS, is not supported i cannot quite fathom. Perhaps iOS is still perceived as the audiophiles favourite?

I agree that the lack of implementation of rewind is inexplicable, but at least there is a pause button now on internet radio - i'll recheck my listen agains to see if it is there too. ;)

http://www.frontier-silicon.com/product ... 2SW_PB.pdf

What do you mean by that? This was a software upgrade, no button was sent in the post, besides how do you pause live radio (except by their old trick of a big memory buffer) - I'm obvioulsy missing something?

gavin83

Postby gavin83 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Have you tried the app yet or are you just a die-hard mindless Apple-hater? No, it isn't locally caching, it will just pick up at the current live broadcast, so more of a stop than a pause, lol, but who are we to question the queen of the Pause/Rewind radio. Still has a pause button though - rather like http://www.wdr.de/radio/audioplayer/pop ... &wdr2=true

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm

No, I don't have an iPhone. Too poor. But I'm still curious to know whether there is any way to pause/rewind podcasts on the 83i

vera

Postby vera » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I've noted some other improvements here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=229#p1495

Vera

Spaced-Man

Postby Spaced-Man » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 am

martindaler wrote:No, I don't have an iPhone. Too poor. But I'm still curious to know whether there is any way to pause/rewind podcasts on the 83i

Afraid not, those functions only work in Media Player mode.
The update should stop podcasts cutting out and restarting though.

machloop

Postby machloop » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 pm

martindaler wrote:
PPS - a vestige of hope, perhaps...does this i-ma'jig 'app' allow for transport control (pause, rewind, etc) of podcasts?

There appears to be no way of doing that with a Podcast, you have to stream them from start to finish, so I no longer stream them. Instead I download the podcast [automatically each week with Radio Downloader]. http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/
As an MP3 they are far more useable !

Machloop

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 pm

fantastic idea. Thanks
I have just downloaded (the old fashioned way) a load of BBC podcasts to my NAS, all systems go.

It does mean I have to plan ahead though, never a forté with me :roll:

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”