Firmware updates?

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
Italia

Firmware updates?

Postby Italia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 am

Does anyone know if there are any updates for the 83i in the pipeline?
Overall the radio is fantastic, but there are still some niggles that need resolving... for example - ineffective levels of dimming the display at night; displaying of metadata (not sure if firmware will solve this though) etc.

Thought that by now it would have been addressed....

martindaler

Re: Firmware updates?

Postby martindaler » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I've been hoping they sort out the dimming levels, but I've given up. I have clothes-pegged a piece of black felt to the handle, so that I can just drape it over the display at night!
Two things are needed.
Firstly, there needs to be at least one more brightness level, suitable for the night-adjusted eye. Much dimmer than the present minimum.
Secondly there needs to be some better brightness control logic. I would like to be able to set two brightness levels for when the radio is 'ON'. A fallback brightness level, when the radio is playing but not being adjusted, and an active level, for when the controls are being used. Ditto for when the radio is off.

Spaced-Man

Postby Spaced-Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:39 pm

There are already dimmers for the backlight in active mode and standby. Both range from 0 to 3.
There is an update due sometime soon, whether there is anything to alter the dimmers any further, I don't know.
This update will also add other features, at the moment I don't know all the details.

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:55 pm

I am well aware of the dimming levels and modes. The point is, it's useless.

Whilst the radio is playing there is only the one level, not two. So if it is set to the level suitable for night use then it is too dim to be able to operate the radio by day. And if the operating level is set for day-time use it is way too bright for night. I have to lay a black cloth over the radio at night.

What is needed is two brightness levels for when the radio is playing - an active level (whilst the radio is being adjusted) and a passive level (when the controls are not being used). That way the active level can be set so that the screen can been read (day or night) whilst the radio is being adjusted, and then the display falls back to the passive brightness level after a short delay. Users who are more concerned with daytime use only could set the passive level the same as the active to keep the screen always bright.

There could optionally be a third level for when the radio is OFF (not playing), but if that is too complicated then just default to the passive level (and rise to the active level as now if a control is activated).

Consideration all also need to be given to the actual brightnesses, since even the dimmest lights up the whole bedroom at night, whilst the brightest is retina-searing.

PS - how do you know there is an update pending?

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 am

thinking about it, quick and simple improvement would be if when the radio was playing the brightness levels worked the same as when the radio is off - i.e 'active' brightness whilst controls are being manipulated, 'standby' brightness after a delay on inactivity on the controls.

Then for people who use it as a bedside radio (who likely want the display dim unless they are using the controls) can set a dim/off 'standby' level, and people using it as a sideboard/kitchen device could set both levels to a daytime brightness as required.

Professor

Postby Professor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am

There are many that don't worry about the display in the bedroom, especially if the time is shown. No different to an alarm clock, unless there is something you are ashamed to shed light on :P
Fora - Where Everyone knows Everything -Everyone Else Knows Nothing

martindaler

Postby martindaler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 pm

absolutely right Prof, which is why I only propose something which would satisfy both!

martindaler

83i Firmware update has landed, but what?

Postby martindaler » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:03 am

OK, so a firmware update has materialised. Clearly my plea to sort out the brightness strategy fell on deaf eyes, so to speak.
Perhaps Roberts would care to update their PDF to explain the changes.

Italia

Postby Italia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:28 am

I also got this yesterday.
Any changelog available?

vera

Postby vera » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi,

I have the same firmware update. It looks to me as though this adds in various features that were previously available only on the Stream 105 model. You can find out about them in the User Manual for this model, here http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/Us ... 105_UG.pdf. For example the following now work for me:

- Remote control (over WiFi) from an iPhone/iPad Touch using the Roberts ConnectR app. A very nice interface for controlling the radio, if you own an iPhone. (This is what the NetRemote PIN is for.)

- Works as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR). This means that the radio accepts commands from a UPnP/DLNA control application. I've found it works well with Linn's Kinsky application.

- Internet radio channels such as 181.FM now display the current song artist and title (including on your iPhone if you use ConnectR so you can view this remotely).

- There's now a facility to keep the WiFi enabled when in standby. This is meant to go with the DMR and ConnectR facilities, but on mine it also stops the annoying power supply whine in standby (but presumably at the expense of using a little more power).

All in all a very nice update!

Vera

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”