New internet radio models from Roberts.

Discussion of all Roberts radios with Stream Internet radio
Matt Hall

New internet radio models from Roberts.

Postby Matt Hall » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:11 pm

New model from Roberts,

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/ ... /index.htm

Any thoughts?

Looks similar interface to the 83i, I assume it is Frontier based but this takes batteries

Also:

Stream 63i - Page 16
ColourStream - Page 15
Stream 205 - Page 20

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/Br ... _DABV1.pdf

David Hartley

Re: New internet radio models from Roberts.

Postby David Hartley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 pm

The ColourStream has been out on field trials for some time, but if the figures I have come across are correct, they will be expensive. They all seem to be a rejig of the 83i, with uprated forward facing speakers, and what is now compulsory integration of the iThingy, though I would not be surprised if owners still moan at the lack of metadata.

Spaced-Man

Postby Spaced-Man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:27 am

David Hartley wrote:The ColourStream has been out on field trials for some time, but if the figures I have come across are correct, they will be expensive. They all seem to be a rejig of the 83i, with uprated forward facing speakers, and what is now compulsory integration of the iThingy, though I would not be surprised if owners still moan at the lack of metadata.

All the new Internet radios will display Metadata IF the station transmits it.
The 63i, Colour Stream, Rvival iStream, 205 and 105 all display metadata when it is sent by the satation(s).

Harkaway

Postby Harkaway » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 am

My biggest complaint with the Roberts 83i is that you cannot turn the display off completely, or even dim it easily. I won't buy another one or recommend it wholeheartedly until this is sorted out. The latest user guides indicate this remains a problem for all their internet radios.

Spaced-Man

Postby Spaced-Man » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:27 am

You can dim or turn off the display.
In the menu goto: MENU>SYSTEM SETTINGS>BRIGHTNESS then select either normal or standby then with the tuning control select the required brightness.

You may need to update the software first.

progrockfreak

Postby progrockfreak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Spaced-Man wrote:All the new Internet radios will display Metadata IF the station transmits it.
The 63i, Colour Stream, Rvival iStream, 205 and 105 all display metadata when it is sent by the satation(s).

I have just bought a brand new £300 'top of the range' Stream 63i, fully expecting it to display artist and song title metadata, as per the much cheaper Stream 205, and Stream 83i models...and it DOESN'T!! Checked for firmware upgrades and none available, so it appears this 'flagship' model has had no attention whatsoever from Roberts since its launch, and is still using the original early version of the firmware it was shipped with. I phoned Roberts Technical Support and they confirmed that this model does not display metadata, that they were aware of this deficiency, but could not give any indication regarding when it might be fixed via an update.

This is a pretty poor state of affairs in my view. I had just taken it for granted that since all the cheaper radios in the range displayed this information, then the 63i surely must do so also. Big mistake! Now I have spent £300 on a supposedly ultra-modern high tech radio, but have no idea what I'm listening to unless I also have a computer set up alongside it with the station website and playlist displayed.

I had a lot of respect for Roberts as a company, but they are letting themselves down badly with this apparent total lack of support for their most expensive product. If I had realised beforehand that the firmware on this model was so antiquated, I would never have bought it. Even the £60 Pinell radio I have which uses a Frontier Silicon chipset can display artist and song title information, so there really is no excuse for this.

Professor

Postby Professor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 am

progrockfreak wrote:
I have just bought a brand new £300 'top of the range' Stream 63i, fully expecting it to display artist and song title metadata, as per the much cheaper Stream 205, and Stream 83i models...and it DOESN'T!! Checked for firmware upgrades and none available, so it appears this 'flagship' model has had no attention whatsoever from Roberts since its launch, and is still using the original early version of the firmware it was shipped with. I phoned Roberts Technical Support and they confirmed that this model does not display metadata, that they were aware of this deficiency, but could not give any indication regarding when it might be fixed via an update.

This is a pretty poor state of affairs in my view. I had just taken it for granted that since all the cheaper radios in the range displayed this information, then the 63i surely must do so also. Big mistake! Now I have spent £300 on a supposedly ultra-modern high tech radio, but have no idea what I'm listening to unless I also have a computer set up alongside it with the station website and playlist displayed.

I had a lot of respect for Roberts as a company, but they are letting themselves down badly with this apparent total lack of support for their most expensive product. If I had realised beforehand that the firmware on this model was so antiquated, I would never have bought it. Even the £60 Pinell radio I have which uses a Frontier Silicon chipset can display artist and song title information, so there really is no excuse for this.

The world is heading for touchscreens and apps. You should have spent half the money on the Roberts Colourstream. I have often pondered over the two and decided against both. The touchscreens have poor reports. The 63i has better audio and UI but is totally over priced in my view compared to an Avanti Flow, which is another touchscreen device I have kept away from.
http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/Us ... stream.pdf
Fora - Where Everyone knows Everything -Everyone Else Knows Nothing

progrockfreak

Postby progrockfreak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

The touchscreen on my 63i is unusable with the default sensitivity setting - just doesn't respond with any certainty at all, irrespective of how hard, soft, or long you touch the 'buttons'. It's not too bad on 'high' sensitivity though. The Avanti Flow isn't touchscreen as far as I know - it has three 'proper' buttons just below the screen, but of course it lacks the CD player and USB functions of the 63i. It DOES display artist and song title metadata though!

Missing_Link

Postby Missing_Link » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Harkaway wrote:My biggest complaint with the Roberts 83i is that you cannot turn the display off completely, or even dim it easily. I won't buy another one or recommend it wholeheartedly until this is sorted out. The latest user guides indicate this remains a problem for all their internet radios.

I totally agree - I share the same complaint. The dim function is buried when it needs to be on a toggle button on the front of the unit!
Regards,

Pete
** Roberts Stream 83i owner **

Helen M

Postby Helen M » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm

progrockfreak wrote:
Spaced-Man wrote:All the new Internet radios will display Metadata IF the station transmits it.

What is the record function like on this model? I have an 83i which I love but would really like to be able to record on it rather than have to attach a Walkman minidisc. I don't think anyone else does an internet radio with the record function?

Return to “Roberts Stream Radios”