Pure Connect

Discussion of all Pure radios with Flow Internet Radio
AndyCalling

Re: Pure Connect

Postby AndyCalling » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 am

I agree. The potential is there, but it needs some polish and attention to functionality before the Lounge is disposed of. If we could add our own podcasts without sending in an application I would really love it.

mchamp

Postby mchamp » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:31 pm

pluto wrote:
Also, I get the impression that the entire site design is geared up for users on small tablet screens with little consideration for those using a standard desktop (or reasonably-sized laptop) display. There's no excuse for scroll bars ever dropping off the edge of the screen.

An example of this is if you try to add a custom station. If you are not using a tablet in portrait mode it is almost impossible to complete the tag information. Using a pc you can forget it entirely.

toshiuser

Postby toshiuser » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:58 pm

I tried Pure Connect once again and some things have improved:
- The favourites are now in sync with my radio
- You can add custom stations
- You can change the labels
- You can attribute multiple labels to one station --> in the radio the station appears multiple times in different folders (I think, this is the only advantage over the old folder system)

However, as already pointed out by some of you above, there is still much room for improvement:
- I miss a complete list of tags already attributed
- If I select a tag as a filter, I can only see the first 40 filtered items. It is impossible to browse further. If I try to do so, the filter automatically gets removed
- Adding a new favourite doesn't allow to select a label. I need to do this in a second step --> really annoying. If you forget the second step, in the radio the station only shows up in the "+ All"-folder. I would prefer to have a standard folder "no tags" (or something) rather than to have the station somewhere going to "nirwana"

I can live with the other disadvantages of the new site (icon size, some display inconsistencies - at least when choosing german language display, ...), but the points above need to be fixed before I will switch to the connect site and leave the lounge.
I think it is really not difficult to fix the problems. However, I don't know, why this does not seem to be in focus for Pure. It's been a looong time since the new site was started...

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 am

It is in focus for Pure, I'm sure. Basically, Pure are a British company. Indeed, I'm British myself. Being German, you will probably be used to things working in a fairly orderly fashion in your world, and very impressive it is too. In Britain, we tend to take a more circuitous route given the choice. Hard to comprehend, I know. If you ever get to try our public transport system for a couple of months though I'm sure you'd get a better idea of how we do things here.

Pure will get there in the end, I don't begrudge them the odd tea break on the way. That said, when are you going to get the DAB tuner bug sorted out on the Evoke Flow (and probably most of your other sets as well since it was a conceptual flaw, not a code flaw)? You are REALLY dragging your heals on that one now Mr Pure...

GaseousClay

Postby GaseousClay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm

I see the Lounge is no more. :cry:

toshiuser

Postby toshiuser » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm

GaseousClay wrote:I see the Lounge is no more. :cry:

Oh no, you are right, it's true :shock:

I think it is not a good idea to shut down the lounge without having an adequate alternative. Right now, Pure Connect still misses too many features and is cumbersome to use.

radiofan

Postby radiofan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:24 am

What the heck, what an awful replacement of The Lounge.

I now have 5 folders and 2 radios worth of stations lumped into one. I can't even see how to add a label to new custom stations. From past experience having more than 100 stations in one folder slows my One Flow down to a crawl so doing away with the folders isn't an option.

Edit: My workaround is to name each custom station with a prefix letter A so it appears first on the station list. Then add the label/folder, then delete the added letter to give the station its final name. How ridiculous to have to do this when a collapsible list of labels is all that is needed or an option to specify the label when creating the custom station.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Oh Mr Pure, what have you done. You were working on a good thing with Connect but you've killed off The Lounge before you've got it match fit. Why? What's with all the rush to kill off The Lounge? Now you will just encourage users to dislike Connect because it can't do everything it should yet. If you'd just waited a bit you would have had a smooth transfer to a great product and a well deserved round of applause. Why so masochistic? This is not the right economic environment in which to fanny about.

I hope this is a sign that Connect is to be updated with all functionality imminently? If not then you've blundered this time Mr Pure. Personally, I'd get The Lounge back up ASAP until I was properly ready.

AndyCalling

Postby AndyCalling » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm

I note that new filter options have appeared on Connect. You didn't quite sync up with the close of The Lounge, Pure, but almost. Well done, if a little nerve wracking. I have noticed the odd glitch (playing My Tracks broken for a while, a few login glitches etc.) but they are clearly part of the polishing process as they are being sorted as they arise.

I note that my Evoke Flow still wants me to select The Lounge instead of Connect. Cosmetic, I know, but since this model is still current I assume this means you are going to update the firmware at some point? If so, does this mean a fix for the DAB tuning bug is coming?

If the DAB tuning bug is fixed, and Connect is improved to allow us to add custom podcasts without application to Pure staff to do it for us, you will have everything covered. That would really make yours the unbeatable service, which is important right now with the rise of Windows 8 and Xbox Music. Oh, and you might want to add a Windows 8 and Windows 8 Phone version of your Connect app to that list with the option to cache podcasts for playback on the run.

Any comments as to the chances of such being realised, Mr Pure?

toshiuser

Postby toshiuser » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:43 am

I also noticed the improvements that Andy mentioned. That's great! :D

Besides some minor display inconsistencies in the german language version (e.g. some german captions are longer than in the english version, which results e.g. in filter arrows displaying within the text rather than with a separate spacing), there is still one thing that needs to be fixed:

I have a tag called "International", which comprises 29 stations. Upon selecting "International" as a filter, the first 20 stations are shown on the screen. When I try to browse forward, the filter gets removed and I am not able to see the remaining 9 stations.
I found out that the generated URL is
"http://connect.pure.com/p#!/de/favourites/start/21?label%3DInternational="
If I change that manually to
"http://connect.pure.com/p#!/de/favourites/start/21?label=International"
it correctly shows the remaining 9 stations.

Therefore there seems to be a UTF-8 character list problem (3D equals to the equals sign "=").
Dear Pure, am I supposed to change something in my browser (which is Internet Explorer 9 Standard Install) or can this be corrected via your website?

Thanks.

Return to “Pure Flow Radios”