TVersity Media Streaming or something better

Discussion of all Pure radios with Flow Internet Radio
jimcha

TVersity Media Streaming or something better

Postby jimcha » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Anyone know if it is possible to use TVersity media streaming with the Pure Evoke Flow.I have been using it successfully with a little Creative Zen X-FI MP3 player but the Flow doesn't seem to fancy it. It finds the server and lists the folders and so on but just won't play anything. I am trying to stream MP3 files (mainly at 320 bit rate). These are stored on a Freecom networked disk drive on my home network. All perfectly possible with the Zen. I can kinda get what I need using Windows Media Player 11 but my folders end up in random rather than alphabetical order. I am open to other suggestions for a media server. I tried the Pure Flow Server but apparently it doesn't support external networked drives and Pure suggested I move the music files back on to my hard drive :lol: ! I am using an external drive for good reason. There are thousands of files. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to you all.

David Hartley

Re: TVersity Media Streaming or something better

Postby David Hartley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:14 pm

jimcha wrote:Anyone know if it is possible to use TVersity media streaming with the Pure Evoke Flow.I have been using it successfully with a little Creative Zen X-FI MP3 player but the Flow doesn't seem to fancy it. It finds the server and lists the folders and so on but just won't play anything. I am trying to stream MP3 files (mainly at 320 bit rate). These are stored on a Freecom networked disk drive on my home network. All perfectly possible with the Zen. I can kinda get what I need using Windows Media Player 11 but my folders end up in random rather than alphabetical order. I am open to other suggestions for a media server. I tried the Pure Flow Server but apparently it doesn't support external networked drives and Pure suggested I move the music files back on to my hard drive :lol: ! I am using an external drive for good reason. There are thousands of files. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year to you all.

Well, you have hit several common problems at once. Random order of play being one with the Flow, and not liking 320kbps files another. A big big problem is NAS network servers, as there are few that work correctly with the Flow. These were documented on the old Flow site, but I cannot recall the models now.
Personally, I gather network servers are more trouble than are worth and would never entertain one, so am no help, but I am sure someone will pop in with help.
I have over 50,000 MP3 files on my pc HDD that are backed up on an external drive. These I stream via the superb Orb server software and have no trouble at all. http://www.orb.com/
Users usually quote 'Not wanting to keep a pc powered' as justification for a NAS. My view is, that a pc with the display shut down uses very little power, and is certainly much less expense and trouble than a NAS.

jimcha

Postby jimcha » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:37 pm

David - thanks very much for the quick reply. Maybe getting the stuff in random order is about as good as it gets. I can use the external drive and as I say Windows Media Player will allow me to play all the files - even the 320kbps ones - with no problems. It's just a pain finding the folder I want. I will have a look at Orb and see if there is anything extra there for me. Thanks for the tip.

Jol

Postby Jol » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:53 pm

I use a Buffalo Linkstation which runs the Twonky media server.

This streams okay to my Avanti Flow but perfectly to my iPod Touch running PlugPlayer or Media Link Lite - so I generally set the Flow to source from the iPod which is a bit of a waste of it's capabilities (and makes me think a Chronos with iPod dock would be the better solution for my bedroom - ho hum).

Matt Hall

Postby Matt Hall » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Jol wrote:I use a Buffalo Linkstation which runs the Twonky media server.

This streams okay to my Avanti Flow but perfectly to my iPod Touch running PlugPlayer or Media Link Lite - so I generally set the Flow to source from the iPod which is a bit of a waste of it's capabilities (and makes me think a Chronos with iPod dock would be the better solution for my bedroom - ho hum).

Using The Lounge to access internet radio would make it seem more worthwhile and don't forget the sound - 75W with subwoofer!

Jol

Postby Jol » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:24 am

Meh. The lounge is a bit crap to be honest and I've yet to find an internet radio station I'd pick over one or other of the BBC channels.

There's a few podcasts I listen to but the Flow's pretty rubbish at streaming those - I could just about stand the frequent disconnections if it resumed where it was interrupted. But . . .

Return to “Pure Flow Radios”