Totally disillusioned with Pure

Discussion of all Pure radios with Flow Internet Radio
Pokerdaz

Totally disillusioned with Pure

Postby Pokerdaz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Firstly many thanks for continuing this forum.

I am at my wits end. I can't stream my iTunes to my radio because it stutters despite the format being supported and using a comparatively low bit rate (128). They expect me to re-format all my music and recreate all my playlists (which I took years creating) as a work round to their error. I am also getting multiple 'station not available' errors even though I can listen to the same station through the Pure lounge on my computer and laptop (Wi-Fi) at the same time. How is it possible for one station to be not available only on the Pure flow, yet available everywhere else (including the Lounge) and be able to access other stations on the Pure Flow, but not the one I want to listen to, so not a connection problem.

When I contact support they just start at the beginning and never actually solve any of the problems. My internet connection is working, my computer is fast enough, and my wireless channel is not shared. I have concluded that Pure are not interested in solving problems - they have my money and that is what is important to them.

I said it before and I say it again - this radio is the best looking heap of junk I have ever purchased. I cannot justify or afford to write off £140 and buy another radio. Support shows no real concern and I would never advise anyone to buy a Pure product - it is just filled with errors and bugs.

If anyone knows the contact details for the MD at Pure, I would be very grateful to receive it.

Rant (not) over!!!!

David Hartley

Re: Totally disillusioned with Pure

Postby David Hartley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:51 pm

You need to convert your iTunes playlist into M3U format and put it into the music folder. It has worked for other Flow users, but personally I have no experience of it, as I have not and never would buy into the grubbing iTunes thingy.
Use something like iTunes Export. http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/
Pure also echo the fact that the Flow will play iTunes so long as you use the Flowserver and the correct music format, so it seems Pure help are not very knowing!
http://support.pure.com/kb_article.php? ... -YHLX-9752

Pokerdaz

Postby Pokerdaz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:05 pm

David Hartley wrote:You need to convert your iTunes playlist into M3U format and put it into the music folder. It has worked for other Flow users, but personally I have no experience of it, as I have not and never would buy into the grubbing iTunes thingy.
Use something like iTunes Export. http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/
Pure also echo the fact that the Flow will play iTunes so long as you use the Flowserver and the correct music format, so it seems Pure help are not very knowing!
http://support.pure.com/kb_article.php? ... -YHLX-9752

Unfortunately that is not the problem. All my songs are m4a format, which are stuttering. I am being told to convert these songs (around 4,000) to mp3 and as a result the playlist data is lost and I have to go through all my playlists and songs to recreate or modify them to recognize new versions and disregard the old versions. I already have m3U playlists created for my m4a versions which work in as much as finding the songs, but the songs themselves stutter.

The problem lies with the song format not the playlist format. I have already done a sample selection.

I have spent many hours creating many different playlists and ripped my entire cd collection. I should not have to adopt any other system just because Pure cannot get it right!!!!!

I see no reason why I should go through this process when I am using a supported format and one of the key reasons for selecting this radio. Pure should fix the streaming problem with m4a as it is not 'as described' if it does not work.

David Hartley

Postby David Hartley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Ah, I see. Other users have had stuttering problems due to the Flow NOT being able to handle 320kbps files as per it's specification. This was proved to be the case by lowering the bit-rate, which is a recode also.
I think the latest firmware release has taken DAB bit-rate up to a 385kbps capability, which is probably wishful thinking for UK DAB station.

Pokerdaz

Postby Pokerdaz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:53 pm

David Hartley wrote:Ah, I see. Other users have had stuttering problems due to the Flow NOT being able to handle 320kbps files as per it's specification. This was proved to be the case by lowering the bit-rate, which is a recode also.
I think the latest firmware release has taken DAB bit-rate up to a 320kbps capability, which is probably wishful thinking for UK DAB station.

My tracks are only 128 kbps and still stutter!!!!

David Hartley

Postby David Hartley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

Pokerdaz wrote:
David Hartley wrote:Ah, I see. Other users have had stuttering problems due to the Flow NOT being able to handle 320kbps files as per it's specification. This was proved to be the case by lowering the bit-rate, which is a recode also.
I think the latest firmware release has taken DAB bit-rate up to a 320kbps capability, which is probably wishful thinking for UK DAB station.

The problem is, that Pure have made a claim of AAC compatibility up to 320kbps, when in actual fact, some AAC M4A files use the AAC codec and some use the AAC+ codec, which could confuse and annoy users who don't know which codec files will be using. As we know, the Flow is not yet AAC+ capable for media or Internet streaming, which I would have thought more important than 385kbps DAB capability.

Matt Hall

Postby Matt Hall » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:15 pm

David Hartley wrote:
Pokerdaz wrote:

The problem is, that Pure have made a claim of AAC compatibility up to 320kbps, when in actual fact, some AAC M4A files use the AAC codec and some use the AAC+ codec, which could confuse and annoy users who don't know which codec files will be using. As we know, the Flow is not yet AAC+ capable for media or Internet streaming, which I would have thought more important than 320kbps DAB capability.

Wasn't AAC+ support added in v1.7?

I have stuttering AAC tracks, and MP3s at 320bkps, so I converted 2,000 tracks to 192kbps MP3s and they play perfectly.

David Hartley

Postby David Hartley » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:34 pm

Well, the release notes claimed AAC+ support, but users are definitely having problems, which sometimes seem bit-rate specific, and just to complicate matters, Pure are still claiming not to fully support AAC+ here! http://support.pure.com/kb_article.php? ... -UAGX-9394

Pokerdaz

Postby Pokerdaz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm

David Hartley wrote:
The problem is, that Pure have made a claim of AAC compatibility up to 320kbps, when in actual fact, some AAC M4A files use the AAC codec and some use the AAC+ codec, which could confuse and annoy users who don't know which codec files will be using. As we know, the Flow is not yet AAC+ capable for media or Internet streaming, which I would have thought more important than 385kbps DAB capability.

My songs are not AAC+, they are listed in itunes as AAC Low complexity and I have sent one of my songs to Pure who say it should be supported and they have recreated the problem, but still expect me to change everything I have.

The principle still stands that if I buy a product which states it supports a certain format then it should do so - no question.

David Hartley

Postby David Hartley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Pokerdaz wrote:My songs are not AAC+, they are listed in itunes as AAC Low complexity and I have sent one of my songs to Pure who say it should be supported and they have recreated the problem, but still expect me to change everything I have.

The principle still stands that if I buy a product which states it supports a certain format then it should do so - no question.

I totally agree, and far from expecting you to alter all your files, Pure should be grovelling and promising an update to fix this and the inability to play the higher bitrates claimed, but it would probably another long long wait. In the meantime, you have a product that would probably fit the not fit for purpose category that would qualify for a refund.

Return to “Pure Flow Radios”